Sunday, November 4, 2012

Being White

This post serves three purposes:
1. To tell you that we are alive
2. To inform you that a big juicy post will be coming up shortly (I'd like to say within the week, but no promises)
3. To say how the topic of being white came up today in conversation and it reminded me of one of my all-time favorite bits from Louis C.K. Following is the conversation and then the video clip:

Jules (in talking about driving a motorbike around): How about the cops here, how bad are they?
Guy: They're not bad at all. Sometimes they have checkpoints, but all you have to do really is lift your helmet so they can see that...you're white, and they'll be like, "Okay have a great day! Have fun, you know, being white!"

I laughed. It's refreshing to openly talk about race, something that I feel isn't always tolerated--or maybe just isn't always done--in America. But in other countries, and especially for us during our travels in Southeast Asia with Julia being white and me being a mixed ambiguous race, race comes up a lot.

As I said, look forward to a long entry coming soon! For now, here's the vid: 



2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the juicy post! Growing up in Hawaii, race/ethnicity was ALWAYS a topic, for good or ill...

    So far, the main advantage I have on being all Asian is I look younger than I am. A fellow ref who is EXACTLY my age said to me yesterday, "When you get to be my age, you'll want to sit down between games."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe that clip is great. Excited for the big juicy post! Glad you're alive!

    ReplyDelete