Friday, September 7, 2012

Packing

Packing for this trip has probably been the single most terrifying, stressful, exhaustive packing experience I've ever had. Or maybe I just think that because of the recency effect. But still...stressful.

Both Jules and I started packing a week ago so that we could collaborate, make sure we don't bring two of things we only need one of, and take our time in thinking about how many shoes we want to bring (okay the shoe thing is probably just my problem [also for the record, I'm bringing 8 pairs of shoes, which I think is pretty good considering I'm planning on living abroad for a minimum of a year which includes professional wear, traveling, and everyday wear]).

I'd say besides the fact that we are essentially packing for the beginning of the rest of our lives, what makes this so stressful is the weight limit. Upon extensive research on the United Airlines website, I've realized just how arbitrary the weight limits are. For this particular airline, we can check one 50-pound bag for both domestic and international travel. BUT if you're a premium elite whosey-whatsit member, then you can check TWO bags weighing 70 pounds each. And WAIT, there's MORE! If you're a member of the military, then you get to check 70-pound bags as well! What if the whole flight was filled with military personnel? What if I was 10 miles away from being an elite member? How is this not arbitrary? And if I'm not special and I do have to pay a fee, where exactly does that money go? To the person who had to actually carry that bag from point A to point B? Let's be real.

Rant aside, Julia and I had multiple approaches in this situation: I started with the idea that I want this suitcase to be the stepping stone for everything else I own in life. I don't want it to be a suitcase that I bring with me for a year of travel, I want it to be my life suitcase. You know, like when your great grandma came to America and all she had was a couple dollars in her pocket and whatever was in her suitcase?
Needless to say, that became a bit overwhelming, so I molded into a more practical approach like Julia. Anything we didn't wear during the summer here, we definitely weren't going to wear in 100-degree weather there. Similar to India, we had to be aware of a different type of modesty. While Thailand is more progressive than most of India in many ways, we have no idea how we will be perceived in shorts. We also have to keep in mind the fact that we'll be touring and exploring where we're working and living.

So by the end of the packing, weighing, repacking, sweating, repacking, weighing debacle, I was defeated when I could get my bag down to 52 pounds at best. My parents' support was what kept me from lying on the floor and weeping (dramatic I know just let me have this one) stating, "You did what you could, 50 is an arbitrary stupid number anyway, if it's not in fact 70 pounds we'll just pay the fee."

I try to remind myself that this is the trip of a lifetime and all the packing and stress about leaving won't matter in a year (or even in a month), but I am allowing us to freak out a little. Because I not only need to remember to pack my tweezers, I also need to remember that I'm leaving my comfy cozy support group that I've built over a lifetime in order to venture into the unknown (albeit with my best friend).



Note: Please ignore any sentences ending in prepositions, split infinitives, or English language errors that are important when it comes to teaching English, but not important when it comes to everyday speech and blogging. So lighten up okay.




For those of you *ahem, Sam* that are curious about what shoes I'm bringing because of the shoes comment:
1. Tevas--because Julia convinced me they are the most versatile, practical shoe I can wear both everyday and while hiking and also because I was able to find a relatively cute pair.
2. Toms
3. Oxfords
4. Black heels
5. Nude heels
6. Brown wedges--short wedges for teacher-wear (see picture of teacher outfits in previous entry)
7. Black flats
8. Shower shoes/flip flops

Pretty good right?

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for breaking down the shoes for me.
    -Sammers

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have me beat by one; I am only bringing 7 pairs to shoes. I actually ended up purchasing another 29" suitcase before leaving Oklahoma (that makes a total of three 29" suitcases). All of them weigh 49-50lbs...

    I'm back in LA and, of course, buying more things here. So I am not sure how that is going to work out... I'm sure you are also experiencing the "I have to get this while I'm still in America becuase they probably don't have it there!" state of mind. I know I am! hahaha

    I have a friend who is a pack guru and offered his expertise. YES! I hope we can make it work because all of my bags weigh over 50lbs now... opps

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a very remarkable job of condensing a year's worth of possessions for a working person into one suitcase!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recency effect! Also I highly enjoy the arbitrariness rant. Also hehe your shoes list is adorbs. Ju loves her Tevas!

    ReplyDelete